Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Let's Talk Thyroid

I had my annual follow up with my doctor last week. She called saying my blood work came back in the normal range. Wow Doc, I still feel like sh#t, so what gives. It is really tough having to be your own advocate. Most medical doctors just don't work hard for you. I really feel like cattle at the slaughter house sometimes when I go to the doctor's office.

I did mention to her that I think I need to go on a more natural thyroid medication. She said we will discuss once your levels are back in and everything. I haven't heard from her and will give her one more week and then a phone call or another visit.

I did come across an article on a blogger's site that I follow about taking thyroid medications wrong.

The article is written by Kent Holtorf, MD and is posted on Hypothyroid Mom blog site. It is called Are you taking your thyroid medication properly....are you sure? Now I have known for years that I should take my thyroid medication on an empty stomach up to an hour prior to eating. Plus I should take all my supplements a good two hours after I have taken my thyroid medication. One thing I did not know is that I should not drink coffee within that hour time frame as well. I guess coffee is as bad as grapefruit juice with not allowing the medication to absorb in to your system effectively. Since, I have had a very huge energy drop lately, I think it is time to check when I am taking my medication again. I used to take it the moment my first alarm went off in the morning. I have an alarm set for 4:45 am and another set for 5:15 am. I was taking my medication at 4:45 am and then I would not eat or drink anything until 6:00 am. That gave me a little over an hour for my medication to absorb into my system. Well, I have been forgetting to take it that early anymore and have been taking it once I am up at 5:30 am. So I have only been taking it up to an half hour prior to drinking my first cup of coffee.

I also have been reading that coffee isn't good for the thyroid, but what do you do?! Now I did not start drinking coffee until I was in my 40's. I had eliminated caffeine for many years until I just had to have something in the morning to get me going. I have switched to decaf at home and will switch out my work coffee to decaf once I have gone through the rest of the coffee I have on hand. I normally only drink one cup of the caffeinated coffee anyway. But you know you read how coffee is beneficial to you and then you read how bad it is. I just don't know anymore!!

So starting tomorrow I will again start taking my medication an hour prior to drinking any coffee or eating. Hopefully this is the culprit that has been zapping my energy!! I would love to cut out the Monster Energy drinks I have been drinking everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment